Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Catching up with last week...

Let's see... maybe I need to do this when I am actually in school... When it is a long weekend you kind of lose the thread.  I did have intentions of starting my report cards but that never happened...  And can you believe the sun is shining after two rather miserable rainy days?!  I just could not bear doing serious gardening the weather was so miserable!  The first two days were fine but had my deck power washed on the Friday and seemed to be doing various errands, and then Saturday I did get my deck furniture out before I went to Salt Spring for the day to go to a memorial service for a friend's mom.  It was a great day for ferry riding!  Anyway the sun is shining and I am thinking about what I would like to write. 

The kids are doing China projects and Extreme Environment projects and I am thinking that my guidelines are perhaps a bit vague.  We will see how the projects turn out.  One thing I have had to think about lately is concentrating on and appreciating  the process and not worrying so much about the product.

The story telling project continues on and the big presentation will be June 9th.  I think the kids are improving as story tellers, becoming more confident.  Anyway here's information on the big event!  I hope that they get a good turn out and that the class all actually turns up.  The expectation is that they will be there from 4:00 to 5:00 on Saturday afternoon at Moberly Arts Centre!  A rather quick project was a picture book based on the story.  Foolish me gave the only copy to Naomi so that I am thinking perhaps we should do another one for us!  Each child illustrated "their line".  Moral of the story make a copy before you laminate or bind!  I don't even have a picture of it!  One of the real challenges of teaching will always be the fact fact that students work at different rates!  I literally didn't get the last picture until the last minute!  

At school sometimes everything seems like a "rush"!

 Big excitement last week was also the Hip Hop performance.  For a couple of weeks Mike, our hip hop instructor has worked with classes on hip hop.  This was a huge success last year and just as successful this year.  Most of the teachers also "learned" a hip hop number so that we performed as well!  The gym was filled with parents madly snapped pictures and videos...

We ended the week with buddy reading, always a neat thing to do!


No comments: