Saturday, June 30, 2012

And June is over....

Yes, we made it to a successful end of the year.  Monday we had a great field trip with the Grade Sevens downtown, taking the bus and Canada Line to Waterfront Station and then walking to Coal Harbour exploring Canada Place, the Convention Centre and the Olympic Torch and then having a celebratory lunch at the Spaghetti Factory and having a little free time in Gastown before heading back to school.  Our kids don't go downtown much so this was fun.  The grade sixes had a wonderful day helping in other classrooms and they all received rave reviews!



Tuesday I just tried to get most of the projects finished up-autobiographies, cards to favorite people leaving the school etc.  Wednesday after an early morning dental appointment when the principal took my class for their last music session and our last silent reading and response period I was going to attempt to have a last math lesson with the grade sevens as the grade sixes cleaned up their desks but  I kind of gave it up with the grade sevens and let them clean out their desks too before they went off the last period to prepare for the graduation assembly.  The grade sixes happily did their final chapter review after they left!
It's really nice at our school in that we have a special graduation assembly and the whole school attends.  Last year's was a little too long (more graduates, and kids that really wanted to perform) but everyone said this year's was perfect.  Two girls did an amazing slide show for one thing.  The four valedictorian speeches were perfect and to the point.  All my grade sevens had written speeches and Wednesday the class (we let the sixes vote too after some discussion) picked their two favorites-and I am glad they had to choose not me because most of them were wonderful to me.  Plus all that story telling practice has made the class at ease with public speaking.

It was an emotional afternoon with lots of proud parents snapping pictures!   I got a beautiful note that really summed up what is the best part about teaching.

And finally we got to Thursday, the last day with students.  We had another whole school assembly.  We only give awards to seventh graders so this assembly honours library monitors, peer helpers, Me to We club members, and Students Council.  Please note that due to job action we haven't had any extra-curricular sports or even club meetings since March break...  I had put together a slide show of the school year and that played as the kids came in and went out (works very nicely).  We also honoured our staff members who were leaving.




 The rest of my morning was spent reading one of my favorite stories and having the kids write nice things about everyone in the class.  I will put these lists together for them after I get back from holiday and e-mail them or they will pick them up.  I have put the story on a page for you on this blog.
I also let the grade sevens visit favorite places in the school and the grade sixes finally had a picture of them taken (they were feeling a bit neglected I think) and we put together autograph pages etc.









In the afternoon they got my fun award certificates for each person and we went to the nearby park with our grade one buddies-a perfect way to end a year... This has become Angela's and my annual tradition always serving watermelon!  








On our return they got their report cards and felt relieved I think and then it was like a rocket ready to burst but there were many many hugs for everyone.  It was a great ending to what was a great year despite job action and teachers' frustration with the government. As has been noted I really enjoyed this class and look forward to working with my sixth graders for another year with new students added in. 

Yesterday was our last official day but without students.  And I am kind of exhausted!  And now I am into trying to get ready for my big trip-leaving Monday morning.  I am going to switch blogs while I am gone.  You will find me here!  I am on another type of journey...


No comments: