Monday, May 26, 2008

Life as a spelling judge and class blogs


Behind again... Last weekend I went to visit a friend, a former teacher-librarian, Ruby, at Saratoga Beach between Courtenay and Campbell River. This was the amazing view we saw from her deck that Friday night. For me somehow, early Saturday morning seems my best blogging time and due to the joys of having wireless internet and a laptop computer this works well. Of course, it didn't work as well last weekend without wireless internet and in a house with amazing views, their computer is located without a view so no blogging for me last weekend!
A couple of things do stand out from that long ago week! I spent a day manning a stop watch and saying correct or incorrect to local contestants in an upcoming CBC show entitled Super Spellers. I don't think I want to make a career of being a spelling judge but a couple of things struck me as I was there. One how vocabulary does influence spelling if words are unfamiliar. The few third or fourth graders just didn't have the vocabulary the sixth graders did. Secondly, isn't it interesting that spelling has somehow almost become "cool"! I always found that anytime I could make learning a game the engagement of my students definitely increased dramatically. What are the most common spelling words your students need to know? Here you go!
Our teacher-librarian consultant, Moira, taught me to blog and I taught my friend, Joanne, how to blog and now she and her class are having a wonderful time with this. I think it's great because it really teaches students to use the internet responsibly and gives them opportunities for instant feedback. If you want to know more about this just let me know! Hit the comment button below!

No comments: