Sunday, December 7, 2008

What are the teaching essentials?


I have done quite a few workshops in the last couple of weeks and visited quite a few classrooms as well and I have been doing some thinking and reflecting. When I heard Regie Routman speak at NCTE, her ideas did stick. She talked about how our classrooms need to be. They need to create "a can do" atmosphere. Here are her suggestions which she elaborates on in her latest book, Teaching Essentials.
Let students know you will help them discover their possibilities.
Ensure all voices are heard.
Demonstrate the power of writing.
Read and write texts that embody the “can do” spirit.
Celebrate success-cheer students on.

To the many wonderful teachers who I hope read this website, thank you for doing this! I experience this in your classrooms.

No comments: