Monday, January 30, 2012

Planting The Trees of Kenya

Having just finished our read aloud novel, I turned to picture books last week.  I chose this beautiful book as it went well with both grade six and seven science curriculums.  I also had recently heard a radio interview with Wangari Maathai following her death in September.  This is the inspiring story of a woman who left Kenya to study in the United States and when she returned to Kenya made it her mission to restore trees and self sufficient agriculture to her country. 



The illustrations are gorgeous and my students
did responses on the book and as you can see
did some wonderful art themselves.  I use a
generic picture book and novel response I
made up long ago.  I will post this as a page. I think I have to retype it so stay tuned. They were also inspired to research more about Wangari.
What an incredible role model she was! 



No comments: