Saturday, April 11, 2009

April is Poetry Month


April is poetry month in Canada and the United States. Thanks to my friends (who I virtually meet) at Choice Literacy I discovered a great blog,GottaBook, where you can download a poem as yet unpublished from some of my favorite children's poets. Today's focus was on Vancouver's own Avis Harley who has a new book coming out entitled African Acrostics: A Word in Edgeways with photographs by Deborah Noyes. Avis' books are great for having fun with poetry and exposing kids to different forms of poetry.
I was also taken to a favorite site of mine, that of the Academy of American Poets. There are fabulous resources for educators on this site. April 30 is Poem in Your Pocket Day which I think is a wonderful idea. What poem would you like to carry in your pocket?
Now how many of you have enjoyed playing with those magnetic words. Well here is such a fun website for kids where they can use words to make their own poems virtually.
And now for a bit more Canadian content, just go to The League of Canadian Poets website which has all sorts of information and resources.
And speaking of Canadian poetry, I am making Lisa Pedrini choose which lucky teacher is winning thirty copies of Stick Boy by Shane Koyczan

No comments: